Electric Gardening

Dug out the dirt, down to the rusted wire cloth. About seven 5-gallon containers to get there. Using an oscillating tool to cut the wire away from the cinder blocks.

I’m assuming, at this point, that I’ll be able to pull the remaining wire out from under the cinder block. If not, I’ll just bend them over to reduce opportunity for tetanus. My current immunization is good for four more years.

The oscillating tool is so cool. It works so quickly, and on various surfaces. I think I might be able to use it to carve holes through the concrete in the cinder blocks, so I can put pvc frame in..to turn the beds into mini greenhouses.

No picture of activity of the garden today. Got too dark. I got dirty though!

Oh! I almost forgot to tell you! I’m getting coffee grounds (for free!) from Starbucks. BIG bag! The clerks really don’t like making the bag of used grounds; I try to appear super grateful. (“Asking for you to do your job”.)

Next prospective source is local craft beer shops. Hops gets discarded after it’s intended purpose during beer manufacturing.

Link for Bunny Poop for Easy Perfect Soil here.

Advertisements

Chipping moved!

Mulch, mulch, mulch. Hubby loaded and dumped it, I raked it in place.

image

Cleared out more grass for the mint to come.

image

image

This is really past flowering time. I’m quite happy about this.

Checked out some bunny work:

image

Another shrub flowering:

image

image

Found more Lilly bulbs. Just planted them straight away in the pot I want them to live in.

image

And just in case you forgot..bunny poop..

image

I genuinely tried to get the rusted wire out of the proposed work garden. When it was cool enough to work, the bugs kept pestering me.

Do those bug repellant candles and coils really work?

I think it’s time for power tools.

To be continued…

Video of progress
Video tour of bunny holes

Transplants Ready for Adoption

Hubby and I had found several lilly bulbs and lilly babies when we cleaned up after a fallen tree.

By description, these are supposed to be content in full sun, but this variety doesn’t tolerate it. Partial sun, mostly shade.

image

I had pampered them in the greenhouse before I transplanted them into pots.

They are ready to go to their new home, as soon as my friend can make the travel to pick them up.

image

To be continued…

Dig That Dirt

Got the rabbit poop started – collecting it at least. Also have a small bag of worm castings.

The evening weather is just now cool enough to dig the dirt out of the raised bed that the bunny poop is going to go into.

image

Located the “bottom” of the bed. Some sort of wire mesh. It’s all rusted out, so I’m going to have to replace it..If it wasn’t for those pesky gophers.

image

About 2/3rd dug out. 14 5-gallon buckets worth. Doing 7 buckets per day so as not to induce a migraine. Putting the dirt in an area that the gophers aerated.

Listening to the hummingbirds fight, the fish pond gurgling, the water fountain cascading. The scent of four o’clock flowers fills the air..which is why I enjoy doing this work in the evening.

Of course, THIS is what I’d rather be doing to the gophers..Blow up gopher holes!  As far as I could tell, no gophers were harmed in the creation of this video.

To be continued…

Bunny hole plugged

Summer moved in all the squirrels and bunnies. They have dug holes deeper than last year – and crawling deep under the trees.

Today was a good day.  I pitched all the small and medium sized bricks and rocks from my metal excavation, into the wagon. Left the big ones there. I’m not quite stong enough to pick those up anyway.

image

Cut up all the termite infested planks that used to be the top of a picnic table. Got to use my portable electric saw. Yay! Put those remnants in the trash can.

image

Dropped off all the rocks into the hole at the tree. About 18″ deep, covering about a quarter of the base of the tree. Covered that with a wagon full of chippings.  Looks good.

image

Exploding Water!

The heat. Gets so that I could only work in the yard by whatever area had shade.

No longer! Mom gave me a spare outdoor umbrella and stand. Made a huge difference today. Thanks Mom!

image

The existing drip system runs underground, through pvc, from the Bird of Paradise to the garden beds. I’ll modify that aspect later, as we got new outdoor water faucets installed.

image

image

I’m modifying the system further, at the bed sites, by replacing thin hosing with the standard drip hose. Running the hose to go up and over the edging of the bed, with spickots at each bed.

image

Having the spikots up and over the bed edge means I won’t have to  get on my knees to turn on or off water to a particular bed.

Four beds now have water to the beds. Turned on the water to test for leaks. Had four explosions.

image

Fixed those.

Next step, run tubing in the Iris bed. Poor plants..down to three in the bed.

image

To be continued…